We’re two years old!
If we were anything other what we are, that statement would generate an array of emotions and actions.
If we were children, your thoughts might drift toward “the terrible two’s” concept— don’t worry, we’re not about to throw a tantrum!
For us, turning two means something more.
When we launched in 2018, we knew we were taking on a bold, ambitious mission — making sure that everyone in the United States has access to affordable, quality health care.
As an organization, we knew if we wanted to accomplish our mission, our role had to be the catalyst… partnering in states to support innovative policy solutions, learning from and lifting up the voices of people impacted by the health care system, and bringing evidence-based policy perspective to the table. And so far, our hunch has proven to be right.
In two years, we have built a respected organization, tapped into expertise from across the country including real people, academics, policymakers, and many more, worked on the ground to expand access to affordable health care assisting in some notable successes, and have begun to build the federal relationships we will need to pave the path for eventual national reforms.
Over the last two years, we have:
- Established relationships in over 30 states and built partnerships with organizations in 5 states;
- Provided guidance to legislative, executive, and nongovernmental partners on various policy areas such as state-based coverage options, scope of practice, Medicaid buy-in, health care affordability, and health equity;
- Provided national and state policymakers, advocates, and media outlets with an evidence-based, nonpartisan perspective on key issues;
- Conducted public opinion research in multiple states;
- Established and grown our network, including the Founder’s Council, Voices of Real Life, Entrepreneurs Council, and our Hospital Leadership Partners.
We are proud of — and excited by — the progress we have made.
A core element of our theory of change is that no one has a monopoly on good ideas — and that durable reforms require everyone at the table.
In 2020, we will continue to push the envelope regarding what states can achieve, through:
- Partnering with Colorado elected officials, advocates, and other stakeholders to increase access to care for Coloradans, particularly in rural areas;
- Continuing to bring together decision makers with real people and policy experts from all ends of the political spectrum to build the trust needed to build politically durable policies;
- Conducting deep listening to communities impacted by the health care system through our Real People. Real Talk. initiative, using the pain points and language they use as a starting point for crafting people-centered policy solutions;
- Using the Building Blocks of Health Reform framework to develop and offer actionable tools and information to people, policymakers, and advocates working to expand affordable health care to all of us.
Thank you for your belief in us. None of this would be possible without the support of our partners and the devoted individuals who dedicate their time to advance our work. Thank you again for your continuous support and dedication to our mission, and for standing with us to say we can — and must! — do better.
And Happy Birthday to US (of Care)!