United States of Care is currently recruiting candidates for the following critical positions:
- Public Affairs Assistant
- Fall Internship Opportunity
Other than internship opportunities, all positions are full-time and offer competitive salary and benefits commensurate with experience. Candidates may be located in Washington, DC or Minneapolis, MN. All must have a strong commitment to ensuring every American has access to quality, affordable health care and open to operating in a bipartisan atmosphere exploring multiple policy solutions to achieve that mission.
United States of Care is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants of diverse backgrounds are welcomed and encouraged to apply. We prohibit discrimination of employment, promotion, compensation, terms, conditions, or privileges of employment based on gender, disability, race, age, national origin, color, creed, sexual orientation, sex (including marital and parental status), gender identity and expression, religion, economic status, ethnic identity, veteran’s status, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
To apply to any position below, send a cover letter and resume to [email protected] with the title of the position and your last name in the subject line.
Public Affairs Assistant
United States of Care is seeking a Public Affairs Assistant to join its growing team. Enthusiastic and flexible, the Public Affairs Assistant will play a critical role in executing strategy for the public affairs team, which will include include drafting press releases, social media posts, newsletters, and blog posts. S/he will also assist with website management, basic research, and general content generation.
Ideal applicants will have experience in media, communications, federal government, public policy or advocacy campaigns. Exposure to relevant content, through work on Capitol Hill, within the executive branch, political campaigns, or in-state/district offices, is preferred.
Key responsibilities include:
- Write, edit and proofread materials, including press releases, media advisories, pitch letters, fact sheets, blogs, op-eds, and tweet sheets;
- Conduct basic background research: gather, research, and analyze information, and keep ongoing internal research products up to date;
- Update and maintain United States of Care’s website and social media properties;
- Support Public Affairs team with various administrative tasks, including scheduling and note taking;
- Conduct project specific research as needed;
- Keep up with current events and be able to share in a comprehensive and cohesive way with team;
- Other duties as assigned.
- A strong commitment to ensuring every American has access to quality, affordable health care, and open to operating in a bipartisan atmosphere exploring multiple policy solutions to achieve that mission;
- Flexible and enthusiastic about working in a startup environment and willing to take on a wide range of tasks necessary to support a growing public affairs operation;
- 1-2 years of relevant work experience;
- Meticulous attention to detail and superb writing and proofreading skills;
- Team player with the confidence to take the lead and execute with minimal guidance;
- Strong computer proficiency, including Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint) and G Suite;
- Located in either Minneapolis, MN, or Washington, DC;
- A proficient knowledge of any of the following: Adobe Creative Suite software (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, etc.), MailChimp, WordPress, Google Analytics. Hootsuite is not a requirement, but a plus;
- Basic understanding of digital, traditional, and paid media a plus.
Fall Internship Opportunity
United States of Care is searching for interns to join our expanding team during the fall semester. Interns will support all departments within United States of Care – policy, public affairs, operations, and state and federal engagement. Potential projects include policy research and social media management. Interns will also be encouraged to take advantage of local health care and networking events, and to bring that content back to the office to share with our team.
Key responsibilities include:
- Support the United States of Care team in research, planning, and operations;
- Be able to read, understand, and summarize information and research in a concise manner for supervisor;
- Stay up to date with current health care related policies.
Policy & State Affairs Focus
- Write policy briefs and “one pager” research documents;
- Analyze and track state-level health care policy.
Public Affairs Focus
- Draft and publish press releases for website;
- Draft and manage content for social media platforms;
- Organize press and state tracker spreadsheets.
- Research and cultivate development opportunities;
- Track and evaluate fundraising efforts;
- Assist staff with grant application writing and tracking;
- Support special event logistics, including planning and communication with vendors.
- Must have a strong commitment to ensuring every American has access to quality, affordable health care, and be open to operating in a bipartisan atmosphere exploring multiple policy solutions to achieve that mission;
- Currently enrolled in or recently graduated from an undergraduate or masters program, preferably with a focus on Public Health, Public Policy, Health Care, Communications, or Economics;
- Flexible and enthusiastic about working in a startup environment and willing to take on a wide range of tasks necessary to support a growing team;
- Self-directed, takes initiative, and able to manage competing priorities;
- Relevant work experience;
- Strong communications and writing skills;
- Microsoft Office and G Suite proficiency.
This position requires a minimum of 20 hours per week. Internships at United States of Care require a minimum 3 month commitment. Extension of the internship may be possible. Applicants must be located in Washington, DC.
This position provides a monthly stipend of $1000 for 20 hours of work per week. There is also the opportunity for school credit, if permitted by your college or university.