The mission of United States of Care is to ensure that every single American has access to quality, affordable health care regardless of health status, social need, or income.
A non-partisan non-profit, we are building and mobilizing a movement to achieve long-lasting solutions to make health care better for everyone. United States of Care will help make it happen by working with Americans from across the country: patients, caregivers, advocates, clinicians, policymakers, and business, civic, and religious leaders.
We must change the conversation and create a new narrative that puts health care over politics by redefining the goal in human, not political terms, and supporting a positive, practical, and lasting approach.
United States of Care’s principles are:
- Equitable Access: Barriers should be removed so that people can get the care that meets their unique needs in a way that works for them
- Affordable Source of Care: Everyone should have an affordable regular source of care for themselves and their families
- Protection from Financial Devastation: All people and families should be protected from financial devastation because of illness or injury
- Political and Economic Viability: Policies to achieve these aims must be fiscally responsible and win the political support needed to ensure long-term stability
United States of Care gathers and supports ideas that best achieve these aims— instead of being defined by a single specific policy solution or the defense of prior policies.
United States of Care is focused on:
- Harnessing On-the-Ground Learning: Listening to personal stories, local experts, and public opinion to shape policies that reflect the hopes and concerns of the majority of individuals who don’t want to be without the care they need.
- Providing Policy Support: Providing resources and actionable approaches to state and federal policymakers, drawing on a wide range of expertise
- Bringing All Parties to the Table: Facilitating robust stakeholder engagement to ensure ideas are fully vetted and connecting the dots between the interests of people and their elected representatives.
- Partnering in States: Building relationships with policymakers, advocates, and other stakeholders in states in pursuit of innovative new ideas to improve access to affordable health care and test what works.
- Sharing the Best Ideas and Tactics: Developing “playbooks” and other resources and connecting leaders in different states to export policy and tactical advice from state to state
- Developing New Ideas: Solving the important policy challenges by identifying and developing new solutions that make progress toward the principles of expanding access to affordable care.
We are a leading resource for effective solutions to expand access to care for everyone. We work directly with policymakers, patients, advocates, and experts to build support from the public, develop best practice approaches, and aim to shift our national culture to create lasting change.
We are proud to share our second annual report: Partnerships. Innovation. Progress.