Managing Director, Policy Solutions & External Affairs
United States of Care (US of Care) is seeking a Health Care Equity Fellow to help us ensure that every person in the United States has access to quality, affordable health care regardless of health status, social need, or income. The Health Care Equity Fellow will provide expertise on how US of Care embeds the principle of “equitable access for all” in the way we catalyze and create policy solutions and change the national conversation on health care.
The Health Care Equity Fellow will leverage their deep understanding of the social, cultural, and structural influences that impact health care access across the country to build on the ways we embed equity in all of our work, with an emphasis on bringing an equity lens to policy, partnership, and external affairs efforts. The Fellow will contribute their expertise in the area of health care equity while leveraging the collective insight of an internal cross-departmental team, as well as a range of external advisors.
The ideal candidate for the Health Care Equity Fellowship is adept at designing and implementing solutions to increase equity across disciplines, is comfortable collaborating with leadership across departments, and has the ability to succeed in an ever-evolving atmosphere. The ideal candidate will have a solution-oriented mindset and track record of successfully developing and implementing tactical plans to achieve stated objectives.
This is a consulting position, requiring approximately 20 hours per week commitment for a 9 months – 1 year duration, with potential for renewal. Location in Washington, D.C. or Minneapolis, MN preferred but not required. The compensation for the fellowship is based on location and experience. Individuals and consulting firms are invited to submit proposals for this scope of work. Please email proposals, including resume or bio, to [email protected] and include “Health Equity Fellow” and your last name or firm name in the subject line. Please include how you heard about this position.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Work closely with the leadership team to identify opportunities to embed our focus on equity across our programs and work;
- Support key team members in refining and applying an equity lens across the organization, including how we translate what we hear through our community-based listening and research into dynamic policy solutions and advocacy/ campaign efforts;
- Work in unison with the Policy Solutions and External Affairs team to standardize our approach to promoting health care equity through our role as a trusted policy expert and our work cultivating and managing cross-industry coalitions, policy and campaigns efforts;
- Provide technical expertise to ensure specific policies and solutions that US of Care supports reflect our principles, definitions of people’s shared and diverse needs, and diversity and equity statements;
- Work in concert with the Public Engagement team to support the design and implementation of our community-based research and listening & public opinion methodology and analysis;
- Identify and advise on opportunities for partnership to further our work;
- Represent USofCare at events, forums, and partnership engagements as appropriate for the role;
- Advise the public engagement, communications, and development teams to ensure external communications reflects our equity lens;
- Other duties that advance our mission, as assigned.
- Bachelors’ degree;
- 8-10 years of experience, including professional experience using policy and advocacy as a tool to promote health equity;
- Experience in process development and implementation at a non-profit, for-profit, or community organization;
- Strong commitment to the organization’s mission to ensuring every American has access to quality, affordable health care;
- Deep understanding of structural barriers to health care access and their implications on the health outcomes of different communities;
- Demonstrated awareness of privilege and structural racism’s impact on racial health disparities and the ability to assist US of Care in becoming a trusted partner to diverse communities;
- Organized, detail-oriented self-starter;
- Action-oriented, entrepreneurial, adaptable;
- Willingness to respect different points of view and balance innovation and creativity with action and results;
- Excellent communication skills;
- Desire to organization’s collective intelligence to solve problems, weigh outcomes, and take calculated risks.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer that values a multicultural, diverse working environment. Applicants of diverse backgrounds are welcomed and encouraged to apply. We prohibit discrimination of employment, promotion, compensation, terms, conditions, or privileges of employment based on gender, disability, race, age, national origin, color, creed, sexual orientation, sex (including marital and parental status), gender identity and expression, religion, economic status, ethnic identity, veteran’s status, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.