United States of Care is seeking two Assistants to join our growing teams. The Policy and External Affairs Assistant and the Public Engagement Assistant are entry level positions and work with their teams and with each other to support their team’s work to meet our mission and objectives. The Assistants support the Managing Directors and their teams with scheduling, organizing, coordinating team work, communicating with external partners, and assisting with writing and research as needed. The Assistants are entrepreneurial, collaborative, passionate about health care policy, have strong organizational skills, excellent attention to detail, and manage to meet deadlines. They manage up on progress of assignments and are eager to pitch in when needed.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Provide administrative support to multiple leaders on the team, including the Managing Director, and coordinate aligned work across internal teams;
- Help to organize weekly team meetings and other team projects and activities, including knowledge capture and action item tracking using our internal database (Raiser’s Edge NXT);
- Handle scheduling, planning, and logistics for external meetings, briefings, and engagements, including coordination of materials and follow up;
- Support tracking and reporting against programmatic grants or partnership engagements;
- Assist teams in development and implementation of strategy, and creation of resources, events, and communication with partners;
- Conduct background research and keep ongoing internal research projects up to date;
- Write, edit, and proofread materials; produce or contribute to reports,
presentations, resources, blog posts, op-eds, and other external communications materials;
- Assist in maintaining website and external collateral;
- Prioritize diversity, equity and inclusion principles, including utilizing the
organization’s equity lens to inform all work;
- Contribute to other organizational initiatives as needed.
- Up to two years of professional experience required which can include internships; professional work experience in health policy preferred;
- A strong commitment to ensuring every American has access to quality, affordable health care;
- Dedication to operating in a diverse, bipartisan learning atmosphere exploring multiple policy solutions to achieve that mission;
- Familiarity with health care policy issues, which may include Medicare, Medicaid and CHIP, and the Affordable Care Act, and/or policy areas related to increasing access to care and controlling health care costs;
- Relevant internship or work experience demonstrating strong organizational and interpersonal skills including excellent organizational and time management skills and the capacity to proactively manage multiple deadlines and projects simultaneously;
- Meticulous attention to detail and proofreading skills;
- Superb writing, research, and communication skills; ability to produce high quality writing and research under time pressure when required;
- Flexible and enthusiastic about working in a startup environment and willing to take on a wide range of tasks necessary to support a growing policy operation;
- Exceptional work ethic and demonstrated ability to work independently on assignments and projects and use sound judgment and critical thinking skills;
- Ability to take informed risks, step out of your comfort zone and embrace ambiguity; use organization’s collective intelligence to solve problems, weigh outcomes, and take calculated risks;
- Strong computer proficiency, including Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint), GSuite, social media platforms, and Mail Chimp.
Compensation and Location
United States of Care offers a very generous benefits package including medical, dental and vision insurance; 403b with match and paid time off. These positions are full-time and located in Washington, D.C. or Minneapolis, MN preferred, however remote work will be considered. The salary for this position is $42,000.
These positions are open until filled, we will begin scheduling first round interviews after April 16, 2021.