Who We Are
United States of Care (USofCare) is a non-partisan non-profit organization on a mission to ensure that everyone has access to quality, affordable health care regardless of health status, social need, or income. We champion fair and commonsense policy changes to meet people’s urgent needs: the certainty that their health care will be affordable, that their coverage will be dependable and there when they need it, that their health care is personalized, and that the system is easy to understand and navigate.
In order to achieve our people-centered mission, USofCare has developed highly intentional organizational values and we are committed to building a diverse team at all levels of our organization, cultivating an inclusive culture, and engaging with people who bring different perspectives and lived experiences to our efforts. Our values are how we work internally and externally, what we hold up and celebrate, and what we are constantly striving for and aspiring to be as an organization. View our values at unitedstatesofcare.org/who-we-are.
In building our team, at every level we value and prioritize inclusion and diverse perspectives. Seeking unity over uniformity, we pay attention to the diverse interests, abilities, needs and backgrounds of every employee and strive to create an environment where everyone is heard and feels that they belong. We strongly encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds and communities to apply to join our growing team.
USofCare is seeking a Policy Communications Manager to join our team of passionate, adaptable, accountable, innovative problem-solvers dedicated to making our health care system better for all people.
The Policy Communications Manager serves a critical role in achieving USofCare’s policy and programmatic goals. Through strategic planning, storytelling, narrative development, earned media, and policy communications, the Policy Communications Manager advances USofCare’s policy and advocacy efforts and helps the organization fulfill its potential as the national leader in people-centered health care policy.
This role serves as the communications team lead for USofCare’s policy efforts. The Policy Communications Manager must be able to comprehend policy information, public opinion research, and data and distill that information to numerous audiences, including fellow advocates, media, consultants, elected officials, internal audiences, and more, in an easily digestible manner. They possess strong judgment in both day-to-day work and during urgent situations, as well as an excellent understanding of the political, policy, and media ecosystems.
Organization is key for this position, as the successful candidate will be a detail-oriented project manager who can direct process and workflow, and ensure accountability across the Program and Communications teams.
The Policy Communications Manager will play a role in developing and implementing communications plans that advance USofCare’s policy and advocacy strategic initiatives. They will have a solid understanding of health care policy, maintain strong relationships with key media outlets, think multi-dimensionally about raising the organization’s profile and the issues on which we focus, and possess excellent, compelling writing skills. This role will be a critical link between the Program team and Communications teams, promoting collaboration and information sharing.
The Policy Communications Manager is a critical position as the organization undertakes and releases the results of major initiatives. The Manager has a critical and substantial role in framing the organization’s work as we pursue those solutions, as well as in centering these solutions as the USofCare brand evolves.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Embed in the day-to-day programmatic work of the organization and serve as the primary communicator and liaison for Communications to the organization’s policy and advocacy campaign work. Work closely with the Program team to strategize, plan, execute, and improve policy communications campaigns for each priority issue under USofCare’s brand;
- Project manage multiple streams of work with ownership rooted in both the Program and Communications departments;
- Prepare policy and program staff to engage with the media and give external speeches. Draft talking points and messages that align with our strategic narrative and programmatic work;
- Translate the organization’s programmatic work to multiple external audiences, including the media, potential funders, elected officials, and additional audiences through policy-focused collateral including op-eds, fact sheets, and talking points;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred;
- 4+ years of experience at increasing levels of responsibility and leadership;
- Background in research-informed, policy-focused communications, in line with USofCare’s people-first organizational priority;
- Experience in successfully communicating complex policy areas, either in an agency, political campaign, or advocacy nonprofit setting. Experience in health care, public health, or other national issues preferred;
- Collaborative, innovative thinker with a track record of translating complex policy initiatives into media hooks, action plans, and compelling narrative;
- Excellent and persuasive writing and communication skills;
- Proven ability to develop, inspire, and manage a diverse team of professionals;
- Ability to work closely with research and policy team members, consultants, and vendors to ensure that USofCare messaging is appropriately and informatively tested and that research lessons are incorporated in the most effective manners;
- Strong commitment to the organization’s mission to ensure everyone has access to quality, affordable health care;
- Dedication to operating in a diverse, nonpartisan learning atmosphere exploring multiple policy solutions to achieve that mission;
- Commitment to prioritizing diversity, equity, and inclusion principles in all your work, including utilizing the organization’s equity lens to inform all work.
Work at United States of Care
The salary range for this position is $65,000 – $80,000 depending on experience and location.
United States of Care offers a very generous benefits package including medical, dental and vision insurance in addition to a 403b retirement plan with match and paid time off. A full summary of benefits is available upon request.
This position is full-time and is fully remote. Candidates may be located anywhere in the United States.
All USofCare employees are required to provide proof of full vaccination against COVID-19. Exceptions to this requirement will be made as required by law.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire. United States of Care is unable to commence (“sponsor”) an immigration case in order to employ an applicant.
The position is open until filled, and the hiring committee will begin screening applications on October 10, 2022. We hope to begin the first round of interviews in mid-October.