United States of Care (USofCare) is a non-partisan, non-profit on a mission to expand access to quality, affordable health care for everyone regardless of health status, social need, or income while paving a path towards durable policies that meet real people’s real needs. Established in 2018 by a diverse Board and Founder’s Council, USofCare envisions an improved, easy-to-navigate healthcare system that provides people with dependable, personalized coverage throughout life’s changes. In order to build a better healthcare system that provides everyone with the care they need, when and how they need it, USofCare is pioneering a new approach that puts people first. USofCare begins by listening to people and includes them at every step of change – from policy innovation and design to pushing for new state and federal legislation. USofCare pairs a people-centered approach with cross-sector partnerships to advance priority work areas, such as COVID-19 pandemic response, virtual care, and public option. To continue to scale their work to meet the growing need, USofCare seeks a highly accomplished Managing Director of Development who will share in their vision of a health care system that works for everyone and bring the strategic skill set required to translate bold ideas into impact.
Over the last three years, USofCare has assembled a best-in-class team and a powerful network of leadership and stakeholders who bring the unparalleled expertise and cross-sector influence required to advance their bold mission. Together, they have embarked on a rigorous strategic development assessment process to establish key priorities centered around four pillars to solidify the organization’s revenue generation and ensure sustainable revenue year-over-year. They have created the new Managing Director of Development position to build upon this strong foundation and lead a development program that leverages the team, people-centered mission, and fund development strategies to meet ambitious organization-wide goals.
This senior leadership position will serve on the Executive Team and drive strategic development decisions that represent what is best for USofCare and the communities they serve, develop and guide a growing staff, and work cross-functionally to foster an organization-wide culture of philanthropy. Using the organizational strategic vision, development goals, and fund development strategies as building blocks, the Managing Director of Development will create a sophisticated development program that meets both immediate needs and long-term objectives. With a collaborative approach and a keen ability to incorporate colleagues in fundraising and development efforts, the Managing Director of Development will partner with senior leadership across the organization, the Board of Directors, and volunteer leadership to lead and manage integrated development strategies that yield sustainable revenue growth encompassing foundations, high-net-worth individuals, corporate partnerships, and hospital support. This dynamic role will serve as a connective thread to unite every facet of the four pillars of the development strategy with USofCare’s values, programs, policies, and culture.
In addition to serving as a thought leader and active participant on an engaged Executive Team, this position will directly manage two Development Directors and a Development Coordinator. An effective team leader will have an inclusive management style and will serve as a coach to motivate a fundraising staff to consistently deliver results and exceed goals. USofCare fosters an environment of continued learning and the Managing Director of Development will involve not only the Development Team but also the Program Team and entire staff in the fundraising process – helping each team member to understand their unique role in the organization’s development strategy.
A successful candidate for this exciting position will bring an authentic passion for USofCare’s mission and an enthusiasm to lead a multi-channel development program for a growing organization on the forefront of change. USofCare is proud to foster a rich culture shaped by a shared commitment to diversity, inclusivity, compassion, curiosity, and communication. USofCare is a team of innovators, builders, and disruptors, and they are excited for a like-minded leader to enrich their culture while driving strategic results.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- As a member of the Executive Team, support USofCare’s vision and strategy while instilling an engaged culture of philanthropy across the organization;
- Establish strong relationships and collaborate closely with the Executive Team to advance organizational opportunities for revenue growth;
- Serve as a thought and culture leader internally and externally, modeling inclusive leadership and collaboration;
- Oversee and lead a development strategy to achieve significant revenue goals to support the direction of USofCare that incorporates revenue from independent foundations, high net worth individuals, corporate partners, and support from hospitals;
- Establish a sophisticated understanding of USofCare’s mission, programs, history, relationships with key stakeholders, goals, and financial needs and ensure that is effectively represented in all fundraising strategies;
- Collaborate across the organization to translate programmatic and policy efforts into creative, targeted appeals to prospective funders and provide coaching and best practices at every step of the way from concept to pitch and execution;
- Develop and lead a strategy to leverage and engage USofCare’s Board of Directors and volunteer leadership councils in their efforts to participate in key fundraising activities, collaborating across teams to facilitate a cohesive organizational effort; and
- Stay abreast of philanthropic, economic, social, and educational trends related to fundraising and health care issues and provide the Development Team with ongoing education and opportunities for growth.
- Develop and execute immediate and long-term plans for revenue growth that are both realistic and challenging with a focus on increasing the number of multi-year gifts year-over-year;
- Plan and implement cohesive fundraising strategies with the Development Directors to generate revenue from multiple revenue streams, which may include annual appeals, principal and major donor programs, grant proposals, events, and affinity groups;
- Build and implement a fundraising strategy to grow the newly formed c4 entity;
- Manage a small portfolio of high-value funders, at times in partnership with the Development Directors and/or the Executive Director.
- Collaborate with the Chief Operating Officer to prepare revenue forecasting and projections to inform annual budget(s); and
- Oversee the expansion of a diversified pipeline of qualified funding targets.
Management & Operations
- Provide leadership, strategic direction, and management for USofCare’s growing Development Team, coaching team members to achieve ambitious goals and ensuring that they have opportunities for professional growth and development;
- Directly manage and collaborate closely with the Development Directors, overseeing their respective revenue streams, managing the creation of all grant requests and proposals, and ensuring that they are consistently meeting, if not exceeding, goals;
- Ensure that the Development Directors and team have created and are maintaining a highly functioning, robust system of operational processes, including all data entry as well as moves management, donor acknowledgments, gift processing, and income reconciliation;
- Oversee engagements with outside development consultants and vendors; and
- Collaborate with the Human Resources team to prepare and participate in performance reviews, provide recommendations for hiring decisions, and ensure that the development staff have appropriate training and professional development opportunities.
WHO YOU ARE
- Minimum 10-12 years of nonprofit fundraising experience at a national organization with increasing responsibilities and demonstrated growth;
- Proven leadership skills and a minimum of 5 years of management experience overseeing multiple direct reports;
- Experience creating and implementing fundraising strategies to develop new and diversified revenue streams across c3 and c4 entities;
- Experience managing a portfolio of foundation, philanthropic, and/or institutional funders and proven track record cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding funder relationships and closing gifts and securing grants in the six- and seven-figure range;
- Ability to complete predictive and data-driven revenue projections and forecasting across assigned revenue streams;
- Prior success overseeing the hiring, managing, and mentoring of committed staff to consistently exceed goals;
- Ability to ensure that leadership and colleagues are brought along in the fundraising process and to communicate potentially complex issues internally to the team and externally to prospective funders; and
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and G Suite and experience with fundraising CRMs, preferably BlackBaud Raisers Edge.
WHAT YOU’LL BRING
- Commitment to USofCare’s mission to ensure that everyone has access to quality, affordable health care regardless of health status, social need, or income;
- The ability to embody USofCare’s values when engaging with funders and the broader philanthropic community;
- A sophisticated understanding of how to curate and time a proposal to align with a specific funder audience, and the skill set to coach a team on how to make these targeted asks;
- Dedication to operating in a diverse, bipartisan, learning atmosphere and exploring multiple policy solutions to achieve the organization’s mission;
- A functional understanding of the health care sector and/or the Washington, DC policy landscape is strongly preferred;
- Passion for collaborating cross-functionally, experiential learning, and empowering a team to succeed;
- Excellent and persuasive interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to articulate a clear and compelling vision across diverse sectors and populations;
- Exceptional relationship building skills, with the ability to develop trusted relationships internally and externally;
- Proven success translating strategy into practice and assessing its impact to inform future opportunities;
- An entrepreneurial approach with a “no problem too big, no question too small’ attitude and an authentic desire to roll up your sleeves to tackle a range of tasks, both big and small;
- The ability to thrive in a startup-like, collaborative, dynamic, fast paced work environment where priorities are often evolving to adapt to the organization’s needs and emergent opportunities;
- A team leader and a team player who can drive impact at the strategic and operational levels;
- Unimpeachable ethical standards, confidentiality, and personal integrity, demonstrating self-awareness and dependability at all times; and
- Commitment to prioritizing diversity, equity and inclusion principles including utilizing the organization’s equity lens to inform all work.
JOIN UNITED STATES OF CARE
Stott Development Solutions Group (SDSG) is exclusively managing the search for the Managing Director of Development position at USofCare. Interested candidates should please submit a resume and cover letter to [email protected] Applications will be accepted until June 30, 2021.
This position is full-time and USofCare offers a generous compensation and benefits package including medical, dental, and vision insurance, retirement plan with employer match, and paid time off. This position is currently virtual, with a preference for candidates located in Minneapolis, MN or Washington, DC. Occasional travel will be required.
USofCare is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values a multicultural, diverse working environment. Applicants of diverse backgrounds are welcomed and encouraged to apply. USofCare prohibits discrimination of employment, promotion, compensation, terms, conditions, or privileges of employment based on gender, disability, race, age, national origin, color, creed, sexual orientation, sex (including marital and parental status), gender identity and expression, religion, economic status, ethnic identity, veteran’s status, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.