Who We Are
United States of Care (USofCare) is a non-partisan non-profit organization on a mission to ensure that everyone has access to quality, affordable health care regardless of health status, social need, or income. We champion fair and commonsense policy changes to meet people’s urgent needs: the certainty that their health care will be affordable, that their coverage will be dependable and there when they need it, that their health care is personalized, and that the system is easy to understand and navigate.
In order to achieve our people-centered mission, USofCare has developed highly intentional organizational values and we are committed to building a diverse team at all levels of our organization, cultivating an inclusive culture, and engaging with people who bring different perspectives and lived experiences to our efforts. Our values are how we work internally and externally, what we hold up and celebrate, and what we are constantly striving for and aspiring to be as an organization. View our values at unitedstatesofcare.org/who-we-are.
In building our team, at every level we value and prioritize inclusion and diverse perspectives. Seeking unity over uniformity, we pay attention to the diverse interests, abilities, needs and backgrounds of every employee and strive to create an environment where everyone is heard and feels that they belong. We strongly encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds and communities to apply to join our growing team.
Position Overview and Responsibilities
United States of Care (USofCare) seeks a Donor Engagement Manager to join our Development Team. The Donor Engagement Manager is a critical member of the Development team, reporting to the Chief Development Officer, and leads the production of high-level individual donor communications that educate, inspire, and create a clear and compelling narrative for major and principal donor support of United States of Care’s strategic priorities in expanding access to quality, affordable health care to everyone.
The Donor Engagement Manager will create impact reports, concepts and proposals, fact sheets, case statements, stewardship reports, and other products as needed by the Development Team. These donor-centric pieces must tell engaging stories and convey donor impact and the organization’s appreciation of transformational gifts. The Donor Engagement Manager will collaborate closely with team members from the development, communications, program, and executive teams to create authentic and integrated messaging for recognition to key donor groups, to strengthen relationships, and ultimately generate new financial support for the organization.
To be successful in this role, you must have a strong commitment to ensuring everyone has access to quality, affordable health care, and have a dedication to operating in a diverse, bipartisan, learning atmosphere that explores multiple policy solutions to achieve our mission. You are willing to respect different points of view, and are committed to applying an equity lens and prioritizing diversity, equity, and inclusion principles in all your work.
- 4+ years of experience in philanthropy writing, including developing donor proposals, concept papers, impact reports, and donor presentations for high-net-worth individuals and/or foundations or corporations, and packaging fundraising or marketing materials.
- You have a proven capability in setting priorities and are able to manage multiple projects simultaneously in a fast-paced environment, including urgent and high-level requests. You are highly organized with exceptional attention to detail and concurrent timelines.
- You are able to quickly learn about evolving health care issues and trends.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to write in a range of voices and styles for varied projects with diverse audiences. Experienced and dependable proofreader and editor. Fluency with style guides, with strong research skills and ability to translate complex information into clear, accessible, and inspirational storytelling. Preferred familiarity or the ability to adapt to a “Smart Brevity” style of writing and communication.
- You possess sophisticated interpersonal skills, with the proven ability to work and collaborate effectively, and maintain composure and good humor under pressure through the entire content creation cycle. You are entrepreneurial, collaborative, creative, and highly self-motivated with a demonstrated ability to work independently as well as build effective relationships with diverse colleagues, including senior leadership, across the organization.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and GSuite products required. Prefer proficiency in Adobe InDesign and Photoshop. Capacity to learn recent technologies as relevant.
Work at United States of Care
USofCare is committed to equity in our compensation policy. The salary range for this position is $65,000-$80,000 depending on experience and location.
United States of Care offers a very generous benefits package including medical, dental and vision insurance in addition to a 403b retirement plan with match and flexible paid time off. A full summary of benefits is available upon request.
This position is full-time and is fully remote. While candidates may be located anywhere in the United States, there is a preference for this position to be based in Washington, DC.
All USofCare employees are required to provide proof of full vaccination against COVID-19. Exceptions to this requirement will be made as required by law.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire. United States of Care is unable to commence (“sponsor”) an immigration case in order to employ an applicant.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should apply at www.usofcare.org/careers and submit your name, contact information, and resume and cover letter to be considered for the position.
The position is open until filled, and the hiring committee will begin screening applications on 07/31/2023.
United States of Care is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values a multicultural, diverse working environment. Applicants of diverse backgrounds are welcomed and encouraged to apply. We prohibit discrimination of employment, promotion, compensation, terms, conditions, or privileges of employment based on gender, disability, race, age, national origin, color, creed, sexual orientation, sex (including marital and parental status), gender identity and expression, religion, economic status, ethnic identity, veteran’s status, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.